Sunday, March 6, 2016

I LOVE THE CONCH! (Week #45)

MOM'S NOTE:
The Monday evening before he left, Elder Hess and our whole family was given harmonica lessons by a man in our ward for Family Home Evening. This Brother's biggest hope was that Elder Hess would work on it and use the new skill he'd given him....Sure enough, he has. This Brother was so happy about it that he sent Elder Hess a harmonica for Christmas. None of us knew that he was going to do that...SO NICE! But Elder Hess had also asked me for one for Christmas, so I had sent one too. Mine was not nearly as fancy as the one our friend sent.

That is what Elder Hess is referring to in the first paragraph.

I asked him about exercise. I remember this being a challenge for his older sister as she served in the Philippines. Doesn't seem to be as big of a challenge for Elder Hess. :)

One of the things Elder Hess had mentioned in his previous email was a desire to become more like Shiblon in the Book of Mormon. I asked him what qualities Shiblon had that he was wanting to emulate.



****


Hooooooly poop...Yeah I got the flippin harmonica Bill sent 
me...It's the snazziest looking thing ever!! I just have to figure out how to work it and everything now...But yeah I got all those things except for the package from A I think.

We didn't get to meet with Sister I's friend this week but we will this coming one. We did find a really cool lady and she was really willing to listen. 

Mornings have been good. We usually wake up at 6:30 and do pushups and situps and stuff. I can almost do 100 pushups in a row..I'm getting there. But Saturdays and sometimes other days too, we wake up at 5 and play soccer at an outdoor hockey rink called the conch. Those are the best mornings. I LOVE THE CONCH!

Shiblon was faithful in everything. And one of the things I'm trying to do better at is to have Christ on my mind all the time. And so I think he had Christ on his mind and that always affected his decisions.

What has been your biggest challenge this week?We had a 3 day zone exchange this week and so I was working with Elder H. He's an awesome guy and we had a lot of fun, and got a ton of work done. But after exchanges, there's like a lull where you were super focused for 3 days and then you get back to normal and you have to keep that focus going.

What has been your biggest concern?E. We've been working with her all transfer and she hasn't really gone anywhere. I'm not super sure what we're missing..

What has been your biggest success?We found M (see above really cool lady). She kept saying "oh que bonita la obra de Jesus! que bonita que estan dedicando su tiempo a el" and all this stuff (use google translate. Ain't nobody got time fo dat)

Who has been your favorite person this week? Why?Elder H. He's the most personable person. He'll go up to anybody and talk about anything. He gives the most wholehearted compliments (something I need to work on. Even the real ones come out sarcastic)

What has been your most significant tender mercy?We had about 4 different less acitve families come to church that haven't come in at least a year. It was really cool to see them get accepted by the branch.


What are you looking forward to this coming week?Interviews with Pressy on Tuesday!! Bout to have my mind blown up by all the stuff I'm doing wrong that I need to fix! I love it!!


Do you have a goal set for this coming week? Tell me about it.Get. Someone. To. The. Church. Like what the heck?!

Which scripture has had the biggest impact on you this week?I read about the standard of liberty in Alma 47 (I think? It's somewhere in the 40's) And I love that he had no hesitation and knew how necessary his testimony in specific was for the nation.

Transfers are in like 2 weeks I think. I love Laredo. It's amazing. So much fun. And Elder P is a great dude. Really working hard.


Have a great week!
Elder Hess


Dinner with the L's
(apparently I'm playing the 
harmonica at their house next week.)

No comments: