Sunday, November 29, 2015

I'm Not Afraid of Bugs (Week #38)

PREFACE from Elder Hess's Mom:
This week's email seems to be a bit more personal in nature. I think I've FINALLY figured out how to write to this young man. He's typically an answer only kind of guy, so I think I've figured out which questions to pose. Hey, it's only taken me nine months, but I'm getting there...SHEESH! Normal people probably already do this, but I guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake....

For this email, I went to his past emails and just built questions off of nearly everything he shared. Some of the things he's written here might not make any sense at all.

In his second paragraph, for example, he is responding to something I'd written to him:
"
So Elder E didn't have his visa by the time he left the MTC, so they just said, 'Bag it! Let's just send him to Texas because we have the BEST trainer in the ENTIRE WORLD in that mission, so he'll be better off there anyway.'? Was that it?" Thus his funny paragraph...

I need to share something else....Little do we, as parents, know how we're preparing our kids before they leave us and head out on their own...When Gannon was about two (maybe even younger), I dubbed him the family "spider killer." It was his job to kill the spiders around the house. I figured my husband was gone most of the day, and he was the only guy at home, so why not train him up young? Well, I guess that paid off this week for someone else. YAY!!! I love that he says, "You know I'm not afraid of bugs." Yes, that's where that began...."Train up a child in the way he should go...." HeeHee!

I asked about some specific people in the ward where he's serving. It is clear that there are some people who have found their way into my son's heart. This is what every missionary mom wants for her kid.

With that all said, I hope it all helps in understanding week 38's email:


So first off, Elder B was gone for the first half of this week at a meeting in McAllen, so me and Elder E got to work together for a while. And we decided to visit a former investigator who is a single mom of 4. Her oldest daughter (6) has a kidney problem where she could die and her son is 4 and has autism and can't speak. And she was outside smoking a cigarrette and told us she was about to give up and everything. So we shared some scriptures with her and we both realized at the same time as we were walking away "Holy Crap...Mom's go through a bunch of junk!". So this thanksgiving I'm thankful for the poop that you've gone through to get your kids where they're at.

Anyways....Elder E was originally called to Costa Rica and I'm sure they were like "Well let's go give Elder Hess a butt ton of responsibility, just to screw over his life on nonresponsibility, that'll be fun!" Thanks a lot universe....But honestly I love him. He's awesome. He might be leaving now because he just got his passport...but we're not sure. 

Elder B is from Far West, Utah and Elder E was born in Puerto Rico but moved to Cali when he was 3 and lives in San Jose. And yes his name is really Randazzle. And his sisters name is unique. Like literally her name is Unique.

J was the 2nd ever baptism in this area. 

Brother T is like an old version of me...Super sarcastic guy. 

Our ward dinner went really well. Lots of people showed up. I think we have a dinner set up with Sister S this Thursday...

What has been your biggest challenge this week?Probably finding time for everything. This week was really busy with helping members and such. This morning we helped replace a floor and I was on cockroach killing duty. There were hundreds... as you know, I'm not afraid of bugs. But something about cockroaches is just nasty as heck...

What has been your biggest concern?
Getting Y baptized. She's really afraid of water....and the water heater in our building was broken. So like she literally could have died if we baptized her.

What has been your biggest success?
Baptized her anyway...We had to have Elder B and E in the font to help her out and had to drive 45 minutes to the nearest church but it happened. 

Who has been your favorite person this week? Why?Sister K. That woman is an angel. She helps us out allll the time. 

What has been your most significant tender mercy?We got D B to come to the ward party. We're getting super close to getting him to church.

What are you looking forward to this coming week?
Thanksgiving dinner. I freaking love mashed potatoes and turkey!!!

Do you have a goal set for this coming week? Tell me about it.
Find the next person to be baptized.

Which scripture has had the biggest impact on you this week?
The story of Jesus being baptized. We shared that a ton with Y, and I'm sure it helped. The Holy Ghost was really working on her keeping her calm.

As far as Christmas goes...I'd like a new harmonica. Like a b flat or something.
Thanks again for everything!
Love you!
Elder Hess


No comments: