Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Surprise Post-Mother's Day Email (Week #11)

I had forgotten what protocol was. I guess Mother's Day took everything out of my mind. It wasn't until mid-Monday that I started to realize that it was still Elder Hess's P-day, so he was for sure doing his laundry and grocery shopping, but would he still be writing to us? Surely not what with just Skyping us the day before, but by the time I considered that he might, he had already written. YAY!!!

Here's what my inbox held:

What has been your biggest challenge this week? 
Making sure that I'm focused on the work and not skyping and seeing you guys again. This week was really slow..

What has been your biggest concern? 
We've been trying to have another baptism before Elder P goes home but all of the formers either don't want to hear it or are terrible at making decisions. Soooo frustrating.

What has been your biggest success?
S. He's the blind guy we found. He is super ready to be baptized and loves us and remembers everything we teach.

Who has been your favorite person this week? Why? 
S again. That guy makes my days.

What has been your most significant tender mercy?
The R family. We asked if we could Skype at their house and they said they were having a barbecue and we ended up getting invited to that too..So Skype and barbecue=happy Elder Hess

What are you looking forward to this coming week? 
Elder P leaves this week for some meetings in McAllen so for 4 days I'll be in a trio with Elder S and Elder T. It'll be good to learn from them too.

Do you have a goal set for this coming week? Tell me about it. 
Find somebody who would like to be baptized. We have a guy who looks good to be baptized but he's afraid of what his parents will say. I'm tempted to tell him to cut the cord....he's 24...

Which scripture has had the biggest impact on you this week?
I've been reading a lot of the church history stuff and it's cool to see the first missionaries go out and have problems that we can't even imagine right now. Big example for me.

It was good to see you guys too! Love you all!
Elder Hess






There was a trip to the zoo sometime before this email....I'm thinking it had to be the previous P-day. This young man I've sent to Texas has a thing with animals. It is HILARIOUS! I seriously took the entire zoo tour with him through photographs--giraffes, camels, monkeys, you name it, he took a picture of it and sent it to me. Each week, there has been more Texas wildlife to celebrate through the camera lens of Elder Gannon Hess. I didn't know he loved insects and animals so much. Funny kid!

Oh, the photos of the chickens here must be related to the story he told us during our Skype session in which a chicken attacked him....She jumped up and grabbed onto his thumb with her beak. I believe he said her name was Gertrude.

No comments: