Wednesday, December 7, 2016

We're Doing God's Work, What More Could We Want? (Week #77)

Things are going well! This week was really weird...it rained for the majority of it...so we didn't get to talk to anybody really because they all make excuses...super lame!!


Elder V only has about 3 months left. Yeah tomorrow is when the switches happen. We already know Elder Stone is leaving and I'm staying...So yeah...
"God Be with You" is a depressing song. I think we'll sing it at your funeral and dress you up in a clown outfit for the viewing. [Personal note to me, his mother--nice! Something for everyone to look forward to, but I have demanded no viewing when I die].

Speaking of flooding in the south! I got a call from Bill Christensen this week! He said he was in Louisiana and wanted to come visit me! So I got permission from President and he drove all the way here and visited with us for a couple hours. Taught us some more harmonica and such. It was awesome! He's a great guy!
Church attendance was better but only because we had a huge family from Portland come to give talks. They asked me if I was related to the Napoleon Dynamite guy...we really should figure that out...
Yeah S doesn't really get what the Bible is trying to tell him and seems to be stuck on his conspiracy that the Pope and the Catholic "system" he calls it, is trying to take over the world. A bunch of random crap about how if you add things up it equals 666....weird stuff.
The best ways to find are pulling yourself out of your comfort zone. God's made you who you are for a reason. He's given you your talents and weaknesses too so why not use them both right?
The families we found have disappeared. I'll have to refind them...


What are the main things that happened on the following days?:
 
• Monday- Regular pday stuff and visited the H family for dinner. They remind me a little bit of our family. They have a little 7 year old named M that's a lot like L.
• Tuesday-We went to a meeting in Kingsville (about 45 minutes away) in some of the craziest rain I've seen. Like driving into a wall. Portland prepped me though. Not many people talked to us...Kinda depressing haha but we got to visit a guy who's not a member but he's helped the missionaries for 30 years or so. His name is L.
• Wednesday- Tried to visit people in Taft. Super tough day.
• Thursday-We had splits with some of the members in Portland. I went with a guy named Brother Mu. He is the coolest guy I've ever met. He's only been a member for 11 months or so and he testifies to everyone. We had a tough time finding people to talk to but at the end of it, one of our investigators, M, was home. and we had the coolest lesson. We sat down and Mu just went off. I could barely get a word in but M was blown away. The spirit was really strong.
• Friday-We went up and worked with Beeville all day. Didn't get to visit many of the people I knew over there but I got to work with Elder Puga who's probably the funniest kid ever.
• Saturday-Went by L's antique store to check it out and visit him. He showed us all the cool stuff there and we got to share a message with him. 
• Sunday- Tried to visit our investigators but nobody woke up to come to church...

What has been your biggest challenge this week?

 Finding people who aren't afraid of the rain to talk...

What has been your biggest concern?

 I'm a little worried about transfers. Who my next comp will be. Me and Elder Stone had a ton of unity and it was the most fun i've had on my mission. I hope this next one's as good as he is.

What has been your biggest success?
I think the lesson with M was pretty great. He saw the light a little more I think.
Who has been your favorite person this week? Why?
 Elder Stone, L or Bill Christensen. They're all super cool peeps.

What has been your most significant tender mercy?
I think the new apartment is a big one. We have more room and it's not a tiny little cockroach infested place...

What are you looking forward to this coming week?
Seeing who my new comp is and who comes to the zone.

Which scripture has had the biggest impact on you this week?
I really like the scripture about Jesus casting Legion into the swine. It says that they came and worshiped him. They were afraid of what he could do and that's the same way Satan feels about us.

How has your testimony grown this week?
I've seen a lot of how hard work helps out. There's a quote in PMG that talks about how work makes us happy as missionaries and it's absolutely true. We're doing God's work, what more could we want?
Love you guys!
Elder Hess

Our navy jumpsuits

We were running to get in the frame and somehow we ended up looking like this (not planned at all, but we still look like goobers)

Bill! (I'm sure the van looks familiar)

No comments: